Applicants age 16 and over are considered adults and will receive 10-year validity adult passports. Please read the descriptions below to determine which service you will need: passport renewal or new passport.
You are eligible to renew your passport if your most recent U.S. passport:
- Is submitted with your application;
- Is undamaged (other than normal “wear and tear”);
- Was issued when you were age 16 or older;
- Was issued within the last 15 years; and
- Was issued in your current name (or you can document your name change with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order).
You must apply for a new passport if one of the following is true:
- You are applying for your first U.S. passport as an adult;
- Your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under age 16;
- Your previous U.S. passport was lost, stolen, or damaged; or
- Your previous U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago.
To renew your passport or to apply for a new passport, schedule an appointment and bring the following to your interview with a Consular Officer:
- Electronically completed and printed Passport Application Form. Do not sign the form. If you do not have a social security number, please enter all zeros “0” into the social security field. List your local address for the mailing address although the passport will not be mailed.
- 1 recent (taken within six months) photo sized 2 inches x 2 inches (5cm x 5cm) with a plain white background. Remove hats and glasses, and face the camera directly. Find the complete list of requirements here.
- Your passport (if you have a previous passport)
- Age progression photos (if applicable). If your last passport was issued more than 15 years ago, please bring several photos showing the change in your appearance over that period. Please bring printed copies of photos as cellphones are not allowed in the Embassy.
- Payment for the passport
Passport Collection Procedure
U.S. passports are generally ready within two weeks of submitting your application. You may pick up your passport at the front gate window of the Embassy without an appointment. Pickup time is 10:30-11:30 AM on Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday (except for American and Qatari holidays). Expedited service is not available overseas.
The Embassy will not keep your old passport while we process your application, but you must present your old passport when you pick-up your new one. A Consular Officer will cancel your old passport at that time.
For more passport and travel information, please visit the State Department website.