Minor (Under 16) Passports

Applicants under 16 are considered minors and will receive 5-year validity minor passports.  Minors must appear in person and have both parents’ consent to be issued a U.S. passport.  Individuals age 16 or older are considered adult applicants. To apply for a minor passport, please schedule an appointment.

Note: The Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is the official birth record for U.S. citizen children born outside of the U.S. Once a CRBA is issued, it becomes a child’s primary proof of U.S. citizenship and can be used to receive a U.S. passport. For more information, please visit webpage about births abroad.

Bring the following to your interview with a Consular Officer:

  1. The minor and both parents/legal guardians.  At the interview, the minor and both parents will sign the form in front of a Consular Officer. One parent alone may sign the application if they submit a DS-3053 Statement of Consent Form for the missing parent or evidence of sole authority to sign.
  2. Electronically completed and printed Passport Application FormDo not sign the form.  If you do not have a social security number, please enter all zeros “0” into the social security field. List your local address for the mailing address although the passport will not be mailed. Note:  You cannot currently list a “Country” when completing the “Emergency Contact” section on our forms. Please list an emergency contact in the United States.
  3. Proof of U.S. citizenship of minor (U.S. birth certificate and U.S. passport)
  4. Passport of parents
  5. Government-issued photo ID of parents to leave at security check-in (e.g. driver’s license, identification card)
  6. 1 recent photograph
  7. Proof of parentage (e.g. U.S. birth certificate, local birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or court order legal custody)
  8. Payment for the passport


  • The minor’s birth certificate must be original or a certified true copy made by the authority that issued it.
  • If the minor’s appearance has changed significantly from the photo in the old passport, please bring a series of photographs which show the development of the minor’s appearance. They may be necessary for passport adjudication.

U.S. citizens who do not schedule individual appointments for all applicants or provide a completed online application form will be asked to return to the U.S. Embassy on another business day. Please be aware that your appointment refers to the time you should arrive in the Consular Section.  Please take into consideration time required for travel and security screening.  Once you arrive in the Consular Section, please take a number.

Passport Collection Procedure

U.S. passports are generally ready within two weeks of submitting your application.  You can pick up your passport at the front gate window of the embassy without an appointment.  Pickup time is 10:30-11:30 AM on Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday (except for American and Qatari holidays).

The embassy will not keep your old passport while we process your application, but you must present your old passport when you pick-up your new one. A Consular Officer will cancel your old passport at that time.

For a wealth of other passport and travel information, please visit the State Department website.